Permanent residents of Canada, Canadian citizens, as well as foreign citizens are all eligible to be nominated for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS).Scope: Up to 166 scholarships are awarded annually
A total of up to five hundred (500) scholarship awards are active at the same time, any time.Eligibility of Program of Study
Kindly confirm that you and your nominating institution fulfil all the requirements below before you proceed to apply for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS).Note: ResearchNet will only permit the creation of a single application per candidate. Candidates should only seek one nomination from the institution at which they desire to study and are advised to discuss their decision with the nominating institution prior to the submission of their application through ResearchNet.If you are reading this, it means you have heard about the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program 2020.
Many applicants have been asking us questions like;
Eligible Nationalities and Benefits
All courses offered at the university.For an applicant to be considered for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS), you must:Selection CriteriaIn this article, we are going to systematically outline the right way to apply for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program for interested and qualified applicants.
EligibilityThe deadline for the scholarship award application is 3rd November 2020 (20:00 EDT). Applicants should ensure they submit their applications on or before the specified date/time.For further details:CitizenshipNominations that do not fulfil all of the eligibility conditions/requirements will be deemed as not eligible.This scholarship is open to students from countries all over the world.Value: ,000 per yearVisit the Official Webpage
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, and such institution must have gotten a Vanier CGS quota;
- Be embarking on your first doctoral degree (which includes joint graduate research program like: JD/PhD, DVM/PhD, MD/PhD – if it has a confirmed and significant research component). Kindly note that only the PhD part of a combined degree is eligible for the award;
- plan to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic session that follows the announcement of results, a full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate research program like: JD/PhD, DVM/PhD, MD/PhD) studies and research at the institution that nominated him/her; kindly note that for joint graduate research program, only the PhD part of a joint graduate research program is eligible for the award.
- have concluded no more than twenty (20) months of full-time study in their doctoral degree program as of 1st May 2021;
- have concluded no more than thirty-two (32) months of full-time study in their doctoral degree program, by May 1st, 2021 if registered in a joint graduate research program, e.g., JD/PhD, DVM/PhD, MD/PhD. Candidates that belong to this category have access to the thirty-two (32) month window whether they were previously registered in a Master’s degree program or not; or
- have concluded no more than thirty-two (32) months of full-time study in their doctoral degree program by 1st May 2021 if accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s degree to PhD (no time spent in a Master’s degree program); or
- Have concluded no more than thirty-two (32) months of full-time study in their doctoral degree program by 1stMay 2021 if accelerated from a Master’s degree program into a Doctoral degree program without first obtaining the Master’s degree.
- Have finished with a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two (2) years of full-time study or its equivalent. Applicants are encouraged to contact the institution for its own definition of a first-class average; and
- Must not have, or have had, a doctoral-level scholarship award or fellowship award from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree program.
- An eligible doctoral degree program must include an important research section that leads to the accomplishment of a thesis, scholarly publication, major research project, dissertation, performance, recital and/or demonstration that is merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level as condition for a completion of the program.
- Joint graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., JD/PhD, DVM/PhD, MD/PhD) and also clinically-oriented programs of study, which includes clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a substantial autonomous research component, as detailed above.
Duration: 3 years (non-renewable)The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program was started backin 2008 by the Government of Canada in order to strengthen Canada’s ability to bring and retain world-class doctoral scholars and make Canada a global center of excellence when it comes to research and higher learning. Vanier awardees exhibit great leadership skills and a very high standard of scholarly accomplishment in graduate studies in various disciplines including natural sciences and/or engineering and health, social sciences and humanities.
How to Apply
Candidate eligibilityScholarship awards are distributed evenly between the three (3) federal granting agencies:Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program application process at Canadian Universities in Canada. Learn the best way to apply for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program for the academic year2020/2021, via Canadian Universities Scholarship Portal.
Applicants must be nominated by a Canadian institution with a quota to host Vanier scholars. Applicants should only seek nomination from the institution at which they desire to study.