Up to ,000 twice, making a total of ,000 per applicant is obtainable to support innovative scholarship which the applicant would otherwise be unable to pursue. Funding can be used for:Every year funding is made available for 30-40 new applicants. Applicants may be eligible for renewal for a 2nd year (pending new PSI funding).The applications are now open.
Many applicants have been asking us questions like;This award is part of the University of British Columbia Public Scholars Initiative (PSI) which aims to build community, connections, and capacity for doctorate students that wish to clearly connect their doctoral work to an arena of public assistance and integrating broader and more career-relevant forms of scholarship award into their doctoral education process.
- A research allowance (including allowance for professional development, travel relevant to the scholarly work and so on).
- Student stipend, if the applicant’s current funding would not allow the alternative project(s)
Selection Criteria:Requirements for all funded students:
The deadline for the scholarship award application is 12th June 2020. Applicants should ensure they submit their applications on or before the specified date.
Eligible Nationalities and Benefits
If you are reading this, it means you have heard about the International Public Scholars Award 2020.Up to ,000 twice, for a total of ,000 per student. (Up to 2 years).
- University of British Columbia (UBC) Vancouver doctoral students (PhD, EdD, and DMA) in years 1-5
- Applicants must have completed no more than 48 months of doctoral study as of 31 August 2020
- Applicants must be registered in a UBC doctoral program as of 1 September 2020
- Applicants in their 6th year (48 to 60 months of doctoral study) will be accepted only in the most exceptional circumstances
International Public Scholars Award application process at University of British Columbia in the United Kingdom. Learn the best way to apply for the International Public Scholars Award for the academic year 2020/2021, via University of British Columbia Scholarship Portal.
- Submission of a report at the conclusion of their 1st (and if applicable, 2nd) year of funding
- Presentation of their work at a Network event PhDs Go Public.
Following the guidelines, complete the Application form. All courses offered at the university.
- Student’s past accomplishments and future promise. Breadth of interest and accomplishment will be important, as well as an indication of the student’s fit with the proposed project.
- Project’s relationship to PSI goals, to inspire and enable a broadened understanding of doctoral education, such that:
- Students gain experience in the environments and types of scholarship they may productively engage in post-graduation
- Students’ work is evaluated as part of the degree, ensuring it is of the highest quality, and signaling that the university considers these diverse forms of scholarship worthy of recognition
- Students gain enhanced career opportunities and they foster positive public perception of the value of the doctorate
- Students can contribute to the public good in diverse ways through rigorous scholarship
- Quality of proposed scholarship. The following factors will be taken into account:
- The work needs a high level of expertise in a discipline(s) and/or methodology
- The goals are explicitly defined, realistic, and identify important questions
- Adequate preparation for and understanding of the subject is indicated
- Appropriate methods are proposed to achieve the goals
- Plans to document and disseminate the work are appropriate and effective
- The work has significance and is likely to contribute positively to the public good
- Need for alternative funding sources
- Consideration will be given also to breadth of the initiative across disciplines.
How to Apply
In this article, we are going to systematically outline the right way to apply for the International Public Scholars Award for interested and qualified applicants.
- Download these 2 files from the link below (under the ‘Further Information’ section): PSI Fellowship Application 2020-2021; and PSI Fellowship Application Instructions 2020-2021
This scholarship is open to students from all over the world.
- Upload the completed Application form and your Canadian Common CV as one pdf file (see instructions for details) to this link.
- Once the form is downloaded you can edit and save the form by renaming it.
- For the mandatory supervisor letter of support and the optional letter(s) of support from collaborators, your letter writers should go to this page. You can open the page, and share the link with them.
- (6) This will complete your application.
- It is necessary to go through all application requirements in the Scholarship Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
All students, faculty, and collaborators will be asked to complete a questionnaire at the end of their funding/involvement. Student dissertations, completion and career outcomes will also be evaluated as part of the assessment of this pilot initiative.