Application calls for 50 outstanding students who want to commence in Germany, Gerda Henkel Foundation is delighted to offer scholarship grants to all interested students for the 2022/23 academic session.Project research that explores current issues in a larger historical context or consciously focuses on topics of relevance to the present or the future receives support from programs of limited duration, such as, for example, the Democracy, Forced Migration, and Lost Cities funding programs.
About Gerda Henkel Foundation
The following documents must be included in an application for a Ph.D. scholarship (in German or English)The Gerda Henkel Foundation was established in June 1976 by Lisa Maskell in memory of her mother Gerda Henkel as an incorporated foundation under civil law, headquartered in Düsseldorf. The Gerda Henkel Foundation provides financial support for the historical humanities.The Gerda Henkel Foundation will provide the amount of 1,600 euros, and The simultaneous receipt of salary or retirement pension and a scholarship is not possible. The funding period for PhD scholarships of the Foundation is up to two years.
- Students have to enroll in PhD degree coursework at the university.
- The scholarship will be awarded in any subject offered by the university
- If an applicant was 25 when graduating, they can still apply to the Foundation for a Ph.D. scholarship when they are 35. This age limit shall be extended to consider the following situations: night school, bringing up children, military service, work experience, and other exceptional circumstances.
Closing Dates: Applications for PhD scholarships are considered throughout the year. Recipients of PhD scholarships will be selected four times a year.
To be eligible for this opportunity, applicants must complete the scholarship application form, and Letters of recommendation must be uploaded via the online recommendation form by their authors with a personal signature. Please do not additionally send the documents by email and postal mail.
- Description of the research proposal (max. eight pages)
- Plus bibliography if necessary (in addition to the max. eight pages)
- At least font size 11 and line spacing 1.5
- Schedule and working plan with information about the necessary travel to archives, libraries, and museums, or other destinations required for the completion of the dissertation (max. two pages)
- Detailed cost calculation (estimates if need be) of the probable travel and material costs
- No college or tuition fees
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form
- Certificate of the university degree qualifying for PhD studies (generally Master certificate; for direct doctorates: seminar attendance certificates; please do not send Bachelor certificates). Please send us copies; references do not have to be attested.
- Two expert opinions which provide information on the applicant’s qualifications and the quality of the doctoral project:
- The choice of the referees is up to the applicant.
- The second report must not be compiled by the person who later acts as the second examiner for the Ph.D. thesis.
- Online recommendation form
- Possibility to submit more than one letter of recommendation.
- Applicants must have at least 1.5 or above in Germany (comparable with grade A in other countries). For candidates with a foreign degree, a special examination for inclusion in the selection process will be performed in the Foundation’s office.
- Language Requirement: Students must have a certificate of English language proficiency.